If you have submitted an online enquiry or application via our portal please do regularly check your Junk and spam folders for our acknowledgement and for further correspondence.

Get more help

A useful list of organisations that can support you.


There are many charities dedicated to providing you with the support you need when you need it. We’ve created this directory of really useful contact details for organisations that can help you when you need it most.

The information on this website is intended as an aid to anyone seeking advice, support and information. The information contained on this site or other sites mentioned should not be taken as a substitute for professional advice. It is the responsibility of each individual to consult qualified practitioners where needed.
No mention of any service, website, helpline or organisation should be taken as endorsement of that service. It is up to each individual to check whether information given on this website or on links from this website is suitable for them. The Solicitors’ Charity accepts no liability for problems arising from information contained on this site or any links from it.
Every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of information given but we cannot accept any liability for any errors or omissions.

Financial support & managing money


Freephone: 0808 802 2000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5.30pm)


Turn2us is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship to gain access to welfare benefits and, charitable grants. You can use their benefits calculator to check what you might be entitled to, and also find help from other charities. Have a look at their information on the Grants – what you need to know page first, so that your application has the best chance of success.


Charities often work together to provide funding for people in the same household, so receiving support from one does not necessarily mean you cannot apply elsewhere.


A free easy-to-use benefits calculator to help you work out your entitlements.

Family Fund

Online help: https://contact.familyfund.org.uk/ContactUs/


The Family Fund provides grants and other resources for families raising disabled and other seriously ill children and young people.

Business Debtline

Freephone: 0800 197 6026 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm)
Online chat: https://businessdebtline.org/contact-us/


Business Debtline is an independent charity providing free debt advice to self-employed people and small businesses.


Freephone:  0800 138 7777 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm)


MoneyHelper (formerly the Money Advice Service) joins up money and pensions guidance to make it quicker and easier to find the right help.  You can find in-depth guides on how to improve your finances, tools and calculators to help you track and plan ahead, as well as support over the phone and online.

National Debtline

Freephone:  0808 808 4000 (Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm)

Online help: https://tools.nationaldebtline.org/dat-reg  +  Webchat


National Debtline provide advice and information, including factsheets and template letters, to help you deal with debts.


Freephone:  0800 280 2816 (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 9am to 3pm)


Payplan provide free Debt Management Services and access to other legal remedies such as Debt Relief Orders or Individual Voluntary Arrangements.


Freephone:  0800 138 1111 (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 8am to 4pm)


StepChange offer tailored advice and practical solutions to problem debt including free debt management plans.

Credit Unions

This website can help you find loan products suitable for your individual needs and at rates you can easily afford.

Your local council

Click here and enter your postcode to find your local council’s website. From here you can find a variety of services that your council may be able to support you with including how they can help with Covid-19 and what to do if you don’t have food, money or housing.

Managing gas, electric & water bills

Many utility suppliers have schemes designed to help if you have trouble paying your bills.  They also have to follow certain rules when dealing with customers who are in arrears, including giving you advice on how to pay and offering you an affordable payment plan.  Speak to your supplier to see if they can assist you.  


Auriga Services publishes a free booklet called Help with Water and Energy which you can download from their website www.aurigaservices.co.uk. This gives information about trust funds which may help to clear energy debts. The booklet also gives information about other forms of support and assistance from both energy and water suppliers that might help you.


The British Gas Energy Trust offers grants to clear domestic energy debts – you do not need to be a British Gas customer to apply.  For further details, click here


Charis may be able to help with financial assistance in certain circumstances if you are struggling with a utility debt.  Find out more at Charis.

Financial help for home adaptations

Home Improvement Agency: If you need help with repairs or adaptations to your home, visit the Find My HIA website for details of your nearest Home Improvement Agency. 


Adapt my Home: You may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant from your local authority to adapt your home – you can use this website to find contact details of the team in your area.

Wellbeing support

Hub of Hope

Hub of Hope is a mental health database provided by national mental health charity Chasing the Stigma, which brings together local, national, peer, community, charity, private and NHS mental health support services together in one place.  Enter your postcode here to find services for you.


Freephone: 116 123 (24-hour helpline, 7 days a week)

Email:  jo@samaritans.org


The Samaritans are a confidential emotional support service for anyone struggling to cope.  This includes people who are considering suicide.


Text SHOUT to 85258


Shout is the UK’s first 24/7 text service for anyone in a crisis anytime, anywhere, free on all major mobile networks.


Helpline:  0300 123 3393 (Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm)
Email:  info@mind.org.uk 


Mind can provide confidential information on a range of topics including types of mental distress, where to get help, treatment options and advocacy services.

Young Minds (for parents)

Freephone:  0808 802 5544 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4pm)
Email:  parents@youngminds.org.uk 


As well as supporting the mental health of children and young people, Young Minds supports any adult concerned about the emotions and behaviour of a child or young person under 25. They offer information and professional advice, via telephone and email.


Freephone:  0800 58 58 58 (every day, 5pm to midnight)


CALM offers a free, confidential, anonymous helpline and webchat for people in the UK who are down or have hit a wall for any reason and need to talk or find information and support.


Freephone:  0800 068 4141 (every day, 9am to midnight)
Text: 07860 039967
Email:  pat@papyrus-uk.org.uk 


PAPYRUS is dedicated to the prevention of young suicide. Their hopeline is a confidential support and advice service for children and young people aged under 35 experiencing suicidal thoughts or anyone concerned that a young person could be thinking about suicide.

Anxiety UK

Helpline:  03444 775 774 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5.3pm)
Text: 07537 416905
Email:  support@anxiety.uk.org.uk 


Anxiety UK offers help and support to find ways to control anxiety.


Freephone:  0808 801 0525 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4.00pm)

E-mail:  advice@rethink.org 


Rethink provides a range of services for people severely affected by mental illness.


Online:  https://www.relate.org.uk/relationship-help/talk-someone 


Relate offer relationship counselling for individuals, couples, children and young people and families as well as mediation and sex therapy. 


Freephone:  0800 4 70 80 90 (24-hour helpline, 7 days a week)


Silverline is the only free, confidential helpline providing information, friendship and advice to older people.

Penderels Trust

Telephone: 02476 511 611

Email: enquiries@penderelstrust.org.uk 


Penderels Trust supports advice and guidance to elderly and disabled people to get the most from their direct care payments.

My Care My Home

Contact: 0800 731 8470 


My Care My Home provides a free information and advice service to people in England & Wales to help navigate the options for finding care.  You can find further details here.

Dementia UK

Freephone:  0800 888 6678 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 9pm, Saturday to Sunday, 9am to 5pm)


Dementia UK provides advice and support for families living with dementia.

Alzheimers Society

Helpline: 0333 150 3456 (Monday to Wednesday, 9am to 8pm, Wednesday to Thursday, 

9am to 5pm, Saturday to Sunday, 10am to 4pm)


The Alzheimers’ Society offers a wide range of support services to help ensure that no one has to face dementia alone. 

Action on Elder Abuse

Freephone: 0808 808 8141 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)


Action on Elder Abuse provider information, advice and support to victims and others who are concerned about or have witnessed abuse.

Cruse Bereavement Support

Freephone: 0808 808 1677 (helpline opening hours may be found here)


Cruse volunteers provide expert support for people who are grieving. We also offer a range of online services including self-help resources and online chat.

Quaker Social Action

Telephone: 020 8983 5055

Email: downtoearth@qsa.org.uk 


Quaker Social Action’s project Down to Earth provides practical support to anyone in the UK struggling with funeral costs.

Good Grief Trust

Helpline: 0800 2600 400, 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday


The Good Grief Trust provides support, advice and guidance to anyone affected by a sudden bereavement.

National Autistic Society

The National Autistic Society provides support, guidance and advice for people on the autistic spectrum and their families.  For information, autism services directory, details of local branches and more, please click here.

ADHD Foundation

Telephone: 0151 541 9020

Email: info@adhdfoundation.org.uk 


The ADHD Foundation provides a wealth of resources for people who live with ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia and Tourette’s syndrome.

Carers UK

Contact: https://www.carersuk.org/about-us/contact-us 


Carers UK provide free information and advice to people across the UK who provide care to a loved one.

Leonard Cheshire

Leonard Cheshire provides support to disabled people through a variety of services including care at home, residential care and training and skills programmes.  Contacts details can be found here.

Help in a crisis

Crisis Support

Call 999 for the police, ambulance, fire brigade and rescue services.  Use when urgent attendance by the emergency services is required.  Calls are free, and 999 can be dialled from a locked mobile phone.


Freephone: 116 123 (24-hour helpline, 7 days a week)

Email:  jo@samaritans.org


The Samaritans are a confidential emotional support service for anyone struggling to cope.  This includes people who are considering suicide.


Text SHOUT to 85258


Shout is the UK’s first 24/7 text service for anyone in a crisis anytime, anywhere, free on all major mobile networks.


Freephone: 0800 279 6888 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5.30pm

Live chat: Wednesday 9am to 5.30pm

Email: support@lawcare.org.uk


LawCare offers a free, confidential emotional support service to all legal professionals, their support staff and families in the UK and Ireland.  The team is there to listen, with helpline calls, emails and webchats answered in confidence by trained staff and volunteers who have first-hand experience of working in the law. It also has a network of peer supporters. 


To access a range of advice and resources to help you, including how to look after yourself while working remotely – click here.

Your local council

Click here and enter your postcode to find your local council’s website. From here you can find a variety of services that your council may be able to support you with including how they can help with Covid-19 and what to do if you don’t have food, money or housing.


You will need a food voucher from your GP, social worker, health visitor or Citizens Advice. Hand the voucher in to your nearest Trussell Trust foodbank in exchange for a minimum of three days’ emergency food.  There may be other foodbanks locally which do not require vouchers, for example, run by churches or other community groups.


Shelter offers advice to people about homelessness, rights, and other housing issues:


England  Phone: 0808 800 4444 (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and 9am to 5pm weekends)

Wales  Phone: 08000 495 495 (Monday to Friday 9:30am to 4pm)



Freephone:  0808 2000 247 (24-hour helpline 7 days a week)
Email: visit https://www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk/en/Contact-us 


Refuge supports women, children and men experiencing domestic violence with a range of services.

Women's Aid

Live Chat 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday, 10am to 12 noon Saturday and Sunday

Email:  helpline@womensaid.org.uk 


Women’s Aid support survivors of domestic abuse, friends and families, and professionals who are in contact with domestic violence survivors.

Domestic violence support agencies for men

Refuge (for men): 0808 801 0327

The Respect Men’s Advice Line: https://mensadviceline.org.uk/
ManKind Initiative: https://mankind.org.uk/ 

Join The Solicitors’ Charity Register.

Want to know more about The Solicitors’ Charity Register?

We simply want to connect with as many solicitors as we can so that we can help them in times of need, promote our work and create a more resilient profession. When you sign up, we commit to not sharing your information. We will send you occasional emails and you can choose when and how you hear from us in your personal settings at the bottom of any of the emails from us. For more information on our approach to data, please click here to read our Privacy Policy.

Now tell us your email and job title.

Finally, please tell us your address so we can deliver your pack to you.

Take action.