LawCare launches Life in the Law report
The Solicitors’ Charity is pleased to have supported LawCare in the dissemination of the Life in the Law report.
The research into wellbeing in the profession captured data between October 2020 and January 2021 from over 1,700 professionals in the UK, Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey, and Isle of Man.
The aim of the research was to take a snapshot of mental health and wellbeing in the legal profession to help inform future steps the profession must collectively take to improve wellbeing in the sector.
The research found that:
- Legal professionals surveyed were at high risk of burnout, associated with having a high workload, working long hours, and a psychologically unsafe working environment.
- 69% of legal professionals experienced mental ill-health in the 12 months preceding the survey, but only half of them had talked about it at work.
- 1 in 5 legal professionals surveyed have been bullied, harassed, or discriminated against.
- Things that could make a difference: Provide management training, regular catch-ups, work towards a psychologically safe and supportive workplace.
- The culture and practice of law needs to change. Improving mental wellbeing is all of our responsibility.
You can view the full report at lawcare.org.uk/lifeinthelaw.